Given the continued surge in hate crimes against Asian Pacific Islander Desi American (APIDA) communities that have occurred, the Academy feels it is essential that we reaffirm our commitment to act in solidarity with members of APIDA communities.
We want to acknowledge the immense pain and the range of emotions members of the APIDA communities are experiencing in response to this increasing number of hate-motivated assaults that are occurring both in our local communities and across the nation. We recognize the impact of witnessing these attacks, one after the other, is having on our staff, our partners, and our community members who are members of these affected communities. We are here, along with the rest of the Academy community, to offer our support and assistance in any way needed.
In alignment with our commitment to becoming an anti-racist, trauma-informed, recovery-oriented organization, the Academy would like to reaffirm our commitment to playing an active role in speaking out against acts of discrimination and violence and in countering stigma during the COVID-19 response and beyond.
If you witness or are the victim of anti-APIDA racism, you may report the incident(s) to the following:
- Stop AAPI Hate
- Stand Against Hatred
- San Diego Hate Crimes Hotline: 619.515.8805 and Reporting Form
- San Diego State University Research Foundation’s Policy Againt Unlawful Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation
For more information about how you can respond when you witness an assault on a member of the APIDA communities see the below resources:
- How to Respond to Coronavirus Racism
- Asian American Advancing Justice (AAAJ) COVID-19 Resources to Stand Against Racism
- Hollaback! Bystander Intervention Training
- Confronting Racism and Supporting Asian American Communities in the Wake of COVID-19