Southern Area Consortium of Human Services
The Southern Area Consortium of Human Services (SACHS) was established in 2001 and consists of human service directors from the Southern California Counties of Imperial, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, Santa Barbara, and Ventura. In addition the directors from California State University San Bernardino’s Department of Social Work and San Diego State University’s School of Social Work are also members. SACHS is facilitated by the Academy for Professional Excellence.
The Southern Area Consortium of Human Services, a county/university partnership, is a forum for county directors to explore and exchange ideas and information on issues facing public human services and to develop strategies for addressing these issues. SACHS engages in strategy discussions, fiscal planning, research, policy development, executive development, and succession planning to improve the quality, accountability, and responsiveness of human services in the Southern California Region.
SACHS provides dynamic and influential leadership and cutting-edge knowledge in the county human services arena, impacting social policies and advancing organizational excellence to help create safe, healthy, and thriving families and communities in the Southern California Region
Structure and Objectives
- Convene four quarterly meetings rotated in different locations throughout the Southern California Region
- Invite special audiences (e.g. fiscal, program, or legislative staff) based on presentation topics
- Identify local, state, and national subject matter experts to present on strategic issues currently being faced by SACHS counties
- Provide a forum for directors to share issues that they are currently dealing with and to discuss potential strategies for addressing these issues
- Conduct research to inform planning, goal setting, decision making, and project management regarding critical issues (See Literature Reviews and Research)
- Coordinate efforts with other consortia regarding statewide research objectives
- Develop strategies to address mutual concerns
During SACHS’ first year, a majority of the discussions centered on succession planning, and how to meet each department’s future needs for effective leaders/managers. These discussions would later lead the way for the creation of Leaders in Action , an executive level leadership development program designed specifically to address Southern California’s succession planning needs. Leaders in Action is a partnership between SACHS, San Diego State University, and the Academy for Professional Excellence.
Click here for the SACHS FY 14-15 Annual Report.