Southern Area Consortium of Human Services
The Southern Area Consortium of Human Services (SACHS) was established in 2001 and consists of human services directors from the Southern California counties of Imperial, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, Santa Barbara, San Diego, and Ventura. SACHS is facilitated by the Academy for Professional Excellence.
The Southern Area Consortium of Human Services (SACHS) is a forum for county directors to explore and exchange ideas and information on issues facing public human services and to develop strategies for addressing these issues while maintaining a holistic, person-centered approach, and a social equity lens. SACHS engages in strategy discussions, fiscal planning, research, policy development, executive development, and succession planning to improve the quality, accountability, and responsiveness of human services in the Southern California region.
SACHS provides dynamic and influential leadership, cutting-edge knowledge, and best practices in the county human services arena, impacting social policies and advancing organizational excellence and social equity to help promote safe, healthy, and thriving individuals, families and communities in the Southern California region.
SACHS Standard Operating Procedures
- Convene quarterly meetings in the Southern California region
- Invite special audiences (e.g., fiscal, program, or legislative staff) based on presentation topics.
- Identify local, state, and national subject matter experts to present on strategic issues currently facing SACHS counties.
- Provide a forum for directors to share issues that they are currently dealing with and to discuss potential strategies and best practices for addressing these issues.
- Conduct research to inform planning, goal setting, decision-making, and project management regarding critical issues.
- Infuse strategic issues and social equity practices into the Leaders in Action curriculum
- Coordinate efforts with other consortia regarding research objectives throughout the state.
- Form a strategic coalition that works in collaboration with CWDA to influence policy and legislative initiatives that impact the Southern California region.
- Facilitate collaboration between Southern California universities and SACHS Counties to enhance the public human services workforce by better aligning graduate characteristics and agency needs.
During SACHS’ first year, a majority of the discussions centered on succession planning, and how to meet each department’s future needs for effective leaders/managers. These discussions would later lead the way for the creation of Leaders in Action, an executive level leadership development program designed specifically to address Southern California’s succession planning needs. Leaders in Action is a partnership between SACHS, San Diego State University, and the Academy for Professional Excellence.
Click here for the SACHS Annual Report (FY 2022-2023)
The Academy for Professional Excellence and the Southern Area Consortium of Human Services is committed to creating an inclusive and welcoming environment that appreciates and builds on diversity. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended, The Academy for Professional Excellence prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability. To request accommodations, please contact your county’s Human Resources representative.