Working with the African American Father: The Forgotten Parent
Level: Advanced Practice – Line Worker
Intended Audience: Experienced Child Welfare Social Workers and Supervisors working with African-American families and interested in reducing disportionality in Child Welfare services
- To explore Child Welfare Services historical bias against fathers
- To explore the impact of absent African-American fathers
- To learn new ideas and trends about inclusion of fathers in CWS
- What has worked for fathers and fatherhood programs
- Overview of fathers and their importance in the lives of their children
- Historical/Current impacts of CSW on African-American families and fathers
- Issues of Resilience for African-American Fathers/Men
- Resources and considerations for change
CalSWEC Competencies Addressed:
1.1 The student will demonstrate sensitivity to clients’ differences in culture, ethnicity, and sexual orientation.
1.2 The student will demonstrate the ability to conduct an ethnically and culturally sensitive assessment of a child and family and to develop an appropriate intervention plan.
1.4 The student will understand the influence and value of traditional, culturally based childbearing practices and uses this knowledge in working with families.
1.5 The student will demonstrate the ability to collaborate with individuals, groups, community based organizations, and government agencies to advocate for equitable access to culturally sensitive resources and services.
2.16 The student will understand and can appropriately utilize authority and power in professional relationships.
2.17 The student will demonstrate the ability to assess his or her own emotional responses to clients, co-workers, and situations in which the worker’s values are challenged.
3.4 The student will demonstrate understanding of the influence of culture on human and family dynamics.
5.2 The student will be able to critically evaluate the relevance of intervention models to be applies with diverse ethnic and cultural populations.
Culture & Diversity