Skip to Content
Back To Top
Opens in a new window.
Opens an external site.
Opens an external site in a new window.
Downloads a pdf file.
Downloads a file.
Downloads a file in a new window.
Downloads a pdf file in a new window.
Downloads a Microsoft Word file.
Downloads a Microsoft Word file in a new window.
Downloads a Microsoft Power Point file.
Downloads a Microsoft Power Point file in a new window.
Opens an image.
Opens an image in a new window.
Opens email client in a new window.
Back To Top
Health Care Needs of Children and Youth in the Child Welfare System Tier 2 eLearning
Level: Core Practice – Lineworker
Intended Audience: This course is intended for new and experienced social workers in the child welfare system
Description of Course: This course covers content on attending to the health care needs of infants, youth and non-minor dependent youth in foster care. The course also
covers services available to meet medical needs, as well as a process to ensure continuity of care for children in the foster care system.
- Recognize the four main components of holistic health
- Recognize the role of holistic health in promoting the overall health and well being
- Recognize the special medical needs of children, youth and non- minor dependents in foster care
- Recognize the social worker’s role in facilitating medical care for children, youth and non-minor dependents in foster care
- Identify resources available to promote health and wellness for children, youth and non-minor dependents involved in the child welfare system
- Explain the collaborative roles of care providers and foster care public health nurses in the prevention, care, treatment, advocacy, and follow-up of health care needs for children, youth and non-minor dependents
- Identify the role of the health and education passport in ensuring children, youth and non-minor dependents receive appropriate medical care, and the social worker’s role in maintaining the Health and Education Passport
- Values associated with a holistic health approach
- Health issues of children in foster care
- Chronic conditions linked to foster care youth
- Obtaining a Medical History
- Health and Education Passport
- Child Health Disability Program
- The use of Public Health Nurses in child welfare
- Some Special Problems in Foster Care Youth