Motivational Interviewing in CWS
Level: Advanced Practice – (Lineworker, Supervisor)
Intended Audience: Social Workers, Supervisors and Behavioral Health Staff
Description of Course: This course will provide an introduction to Motivational Interviewing, the Stages of Change and how social workers can utilize Motivational Interviewing in the Engagement and Assessment stages of the Core Practice Model established to address Katie A.
- The participant will be able to identify the Stages of Change.
- The participant will describe ways to incorporate “partnering and advising” in collaborative case planning.
- The participant will demonstrate that they can make reflective statements, open ended questions, affirming statements and summaries in an direct interview.
- Participants will be able to list MI strategies to “Roll with Resistance”.
- Stages of Change
- Collaborative planning with families
- Integrating “partnering and advising” in interviews and the collaborative practice.
- Incorporating Motivational Interviewing in Engagement and Assessment.
- Utilizing reflective statements, open ended questions, affirming statements and summaries to create an empathetic space.
- Rolling with Resistance.
Engagement & Interviewing