Cultural Competency Academy
Cultural Competency Academy Training
The Cultural Competency Academy Training is a commitment of up to 46 hours of training. This half-year commitment includes a project where participants are to create a measurable change within their organization that they will then present at graduation. Participants who are from the same organization, will be able to work together to create a project.
Participants will need to complete a 1-day position specific booster and a 1-day culturally specific booster. The culturally specific booster is another 6 hour commitment, and the position specific booster is a commitment of another 6 hours, unless you are an administrative staff person, in which case your position specific booster is a 1 hour webinar. (Flyers to be added soon with more information)
This CCA Foundational Series meets the qualifications for 30 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The Academy for Professional Excellence is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists and the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs, Provider #91928. The Academy for Professional Excellence is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider # BRN CEP15014; CCAPP-EI, Provider # 1S-98-398-0820, and CAADE Provider # CP10-906-CH0320 for 30 contact hours/CEHs. The Academy for Professional Excellence maintains responsibility for this program and its content. CE certificates will be available for download 5 business days after course completion. Click here for information on how to obtain CE Certificates. Click here for the CE Grievance Procedure(pdf>.
Cultural Competency Academy
- Cultural Booster training on African-American Populations in March
- Administrative Staff Booster Webinar Training in April and May
- Direct Service Staff Booster training in April and May
- Management Staff Booster training in March and May
- Cultural Booster training on Asian-Pacific Islander Populations in May
CCA Foundational Series Learning Objectives
Upon Completion of the Cultural Competency Foundational Training Series, participants will be able to:
- Access the tools and skills needed to provide culturally informed services
- Describe the impact of person-first, trauma-informed, culturally competent service delivery
- Use awareness of their own biases to engage with people of different cultural backgrounds
- Use cultural competence practices in the delivery of Behavioral Health Services
- Create culturally driven change to improve program participant outcomes
- Use skills and experiences to engage in conversations regarding race and culture
Day 1: Self Assessment
DAY 2: What is Culture?
Day 3: Culture in the Workplace
Michelle Ly, LMFT