Becoming a Contractor
CWDS solicits contractors who have demonstrated expertise and experience in one or more areas of child welfare and workforce development services. Our typical classroom trainings occur in module format and may include 6 hour, 3 hour (1/2 day), 9 hours (1-1/2 days), and 12 hours (2 days) deliveries We also provide onsite coaching to child welfare agencies in California, Simulation Training and opportunities for curriculum development for advanced courses. CWDS is most interested in contracting with those who have knowledge and experience in Child Welfare or related fields who are able to use a variety of instructional methods appropriate for adult learners. All contractors must have experience or knowledge of the public child welfare services system and/or the ability to relate the material being delivered to public child welfare services practice.
CWDS provides an assortment of learning experiences to staff and leadership in Child Welfare through training modalities that cover a variety of topics, including but not limited to:
CORE Training For New Social Workers (Core 3.0: These courses must be trained according to the standardized curricula developed and approved by CalSWEC and CDSS)
- Child Welfare Practice
- Trauma-informed Practice
- Fairness and Equity and Diversity and Inclusion
- Critical Thinking and Assessment
- Child Maltreatment Identification Structured Decision Making (SDM)
- Contractor opportunities that may be available to applicants include:
- Classroom Trainer
- Contract Coach
- Simulation Facilitator
- Simulation Actor
- Curriculum Development
If you are interested in becoming a CWDS contractor please complete the online CWDS Contractor Application.
You will be asked to submit the following documents in conjunction with your application:
- Resume or CV
- References (3-5 names and phone numbers)
– If you have worked for a child welfare Agency in the last 10 years one reference must be from a staff member from the County Agency.
- Copies of 2-3 recent training evaluations (within the past 2 years) OR two letters of reference illustrating your knowledge and skills related to contractor role (ex: Trainer, Coach, Sim Facilitator, Actor, Curriculum Developer, etc.)
- Syllabus or Outline of a child welfare-related training course you have facilitated (Required for Trainer applicants only)
- If you are an employee of one of the seven counties served by the Academy for Professional Excellence you will also need to provide a letter of support from your supervisor or manager, indicating he/she approves of you training for CWDS. (The letter should indicate your level of skill and practice at your present job and how you positively represent your county’s vision, mission, and goals).
Once your application has been received and reviewed these additional items will be covered:
- Completion of the Classification Process through SDSURF
- Facilitation of an in person 20 minute Presentation to CWDS staff as a part of the application process (If Applicable)
- Orientation to CWDS program with Training Development Team staff
- For specialized services including Coaching, Simulation Facilitation/Acting, Cultural
- Responsiveness Academy (CRA), CANS, etc. an additional orientation may be required with the program lead.
- Observation of a delivery of a CWDS training, coaching, or simulation event
* All application documents, orientation, and on-boarding requirements must be completed prior to a contractor completing any service deliveries through CWDS.
** Contractors are expected and required to provide services in any location served by CWDS to assist with scheduled training deliveries throughout the Southern, CA region.
Please review the online Contractor Handbook for Additional Information