Skip to Content
Back To Top
Opens in a new window.
Opens an external site.
Opens an external site in a new window.
Downloads a pdf file.
Downloads a file.
Downloads a file in a new window.
Downloads a pdf file in a new window.
Downloads a Microsoft Word file.
Downloads a Microsoft Word file in a new window.
Downloads a Microsoft Power Point file.
Downloads a Microsoft Power Point file in a new window.
Opens an image.
Opens an image in a new window.
Opens email client in a new window.
Back To Top
The Effects of Trauma and Abuse on Child Development: The Adolescent eLearning
Level: Advanced Practice – Lineworker, Supervisor
Intended Audience: This self-paced eLearning module is for child welfare staff who want to obtain information on the effects of abuse and trauma on adolescents
Description of Course: This course will cover a brief review of adolescent development and the impact of trauma and abuse on development. Topics such as adolescent development in a cultural context and assessing and treatment of trauma symptoms and behaviors in adolescents will be covered.
- Review adolescent development and recognize how trauma effects development, to include cultural and gender differences
- Recognize the misdiagnosis and under-diagnosis of trauma in adolescents
- Identify risk factors associated with adolescent trauma
- Identify sub-groups of adolescents at increased risk for further trauma
- Identify strategies for effective engagement and empowerment of adolescents
- Value and integrate effective, trauma-informed interventions with adolescents
- Brief review of child developmental framework with a focus on adolescent development
- Adolescent development in a cultural context
- Trauma and its impact on adolescent development
- Protective and mitigating factors regarding the impact of trauma
- Mental Health Issues – under and misdiagnosis of trauma in adolescents who have been abused
- Sub-groups of adolescents and special considerations
- Trauma informed assessment and care
- Engaging adolescents in seeking help for trauma issues
- Trauma-focused treatment and care