Skip to Content
Back To Top
Opens in a new window.
Opens an external site.
Opens an external site in a new window.
Downloads a pdf file.
Downloads a pdf file in a new window.
Back To Top
Essentials of Child Welfare Supervision: Update and Refresher
Level: Advanced Practice – Supervisor
Intended Audience: Supervisors who have completed the Essentials of Child Welfare Supervision Course prior to its latest revision in July 2012
Description of Course: This 6 hour facilitated training will provide an advanced review of the Supervisor Core curriculum with a specific focus on those portions updated during the Academy’s revision to Version 2.1 completed in July 2012.
- Review primary core concepts from the Essentials of Child Welfare Supervision with specific focus on updated application and transfer of learning.
- Review and update supervisory roles and sub-roles and develop time and priorities management strategies to re-allocate time across roles in a plan-full way.
- Learn and demonstrate the ability to identify and address advanced performance issues with the staff they supervise and develop a strategy to address these issues
- Complete an inventory that identifies a dominate leadership style (DISC) and make application to specific supervisory situations.
Strengthen case specific supervision and consultative skills by:
- Applying updated individual and group case conferencing formats (individual and group) to elicit specific information about:
- Child and family safety
- Progress towards case goals
- Cultural relevance of services provided to families
- Progress toward child welfare outcomes.
- Using a case consultation scenario or role play that engages supervisees in discussions about critical assessment information (safety, risk, protective capacity, domestic violence, substance abuse and mental health issues) that lead to casework decisions.
Supervision and Management